For more information or to speak with a Financial Education Specialist, please contact us at FinancialEducationAFB@afbank.com.
Many kinds of people look at your credit report, like landlords, employers, and loan officers. That’s why having poor credit could make things like renting or buying a home, getting a job, or receiving good interest rates on loans more difficult or expensive.
It can seem tricky at first to build good credit, but believe us, you can do it. Check out these tips to better understand, handle, and improve your credit.
- Always pay every bill on time, even if it’s only the minimum due.
- Keep your credit balance at or below 35% of your total limit.
- A variety of credit types is essential to build good credit, including credit cards and different loans such as installment loans in the form of auto, student, and mortgage loans.
- When you apply for new credit, do so in moderation.
- Before closing an account, make sure to completely pay off its balance.
- To help with credit history length, you could keep old credit accounts open.
- Throughout the year, frequently review your credit reports to ensure they are accurate. Learn how to order and review them in "Viewing Credit Reports."
- Check out our Armed Forces Bank Credit Builder card to see how we can help you improve your credit score. Subject to credit approval.