Episode Show Notes:
Welcome to the "Militarily Speaking" podcast with Tom McLean and Jodi Vickery.
In this episode of “Militarily Speaking,” Tom, Jodi, and guest Meghan Ogilvie, CEO of Dog Tag Inc., discuss how their bakery business got started, details about their fellowship program for veterans, military spouses, and military caregivers, and ways that you can get involved.
“Militarily Speaking” is a podcast produced by Armed Forces Bank that is dedicated to the military lifestyle and all the things that makes military community who they are.
Ep. 26 — Dog Tag Bakery with Meghan Ogilvie
Introducing Dog Tag Inc. and Meghan Ogilvie
Tom and Jodi joke around with Meghan before introducing Meghan Ogilvie, CEO of Dog Tag Inc.
- She discusses the motive behind Dog Tag Bakery and their innovative 5-month fellowship program.
- Jodi then continues discussing more of Meghan’s background, including her family’s military service.
Jodi then ask Meghan to explain the story behind Dog Tag Inc. and Dog Tag Bakery.
- Meghan walks through the history of Father Rick Curry and Constance Milstein, who were both avid bakers and advocates for military families.
- She then continues by explaining how the two met and together opened Dog Tag Bakery, and the mission to empower veterans with service-connected disabilities, military spouses. and military caregivers.
- Meghan then talks about the beginning of their fellowship program, and what is involved in the programs.
Tom asks about whether Dog Tag Bakery has a full bakery in both locations, Washington D.C. and Chicago.
- Meghan says that they only have a full bakery in D.C., and talks about some of the memorabilia that can be found in the bakery, including a massive chandelier made out of veteran dog tags.
- She mentions some of the baked goods they sell, and adds that they are nut-free certified.
- She then discusses their coffee that comes from Compass Coffee, which was started by two marines in Washington D.C., and their partnership with Veteran Roaster in Chicago that employs formerly homeless veterans.
Jodi asks Meghan to give more details about the Dog Tag Fellowship Program, and how people can become a part of it.
- Meghan says they look for veterans with service-connected care, military spouses, and caregivers and discusses the application process.
- She goes into details about the program, and more specifics about what the program entails.
- She discusses the struggles of transitioning from being an active military member to part of the civilian workforce, and how they help through their program.
- Meghan then describes the different aspects of the program, such as wellness, academic, experiential, and networking pieces.
Jodi asks how others might get involved in or support the program, and Tom asks for some stories about the fellowship’s alumni.
- Meghan mentions different ways to get involved such as donating or volunteering.
- She then tells the stories of a few different fellowship alumni, including an Air Force Veteran.
Jodi introduces the Military Minute segment of the show, beginning by closing out last episode’s Military Minute.
- Last episode’s Military Minute: How many letters to recruits in training and deployed service members has Sandboxx sent?
- Answer: 8.5 Million
- This week’s Military Minute question: What was the name of the first bakery opened in the United States?
- Watch for Facebook and Instagram posts about this episode.
- Answer with the correct answer and you plus a charity of your choice can each win $50.
Tom closes the episode by asking listeners to go to www.afbank.com and subscribe to the show, as well as leave a rating and comment on your favorite podcast platform such as Apple Podcasts or Spotify.
Join us to hear how to better navigate your finances, military life, and the crossroads of the two.