In this episode of “Militarily Speaking,” Tom and Jodi discuss the myriad of ways Armed Forces Bank employees have been giving back to their local communities at their AFB branches all around the country.
“Militarily Speaking” is a podcast produced by Armed Forces Bank that is dedicated to the military lifestyle and all the things that makes military community who they are.
We — with guests like you — will help the military community not only navigate their finances but also military life. We chat about both good and bad financial practices and provide some insight along the way. We’ll share strategies to help people get ahead, discuss military benefits that members should take advantage of, and more – all working towards the goal of helping people become more financially independent.
On the show, we’ll also preview and talk about how to take advantage of military specific services, such as loans and mortgages, and help members prepare for important milestones such as PCS moves and the transition to civilian life. Finally, at the end of every episode, we have a bit of fun with our Military Minute. That guessing-game segment features military history, hobbies, a bit of pop culture. Correct guesses by listeners could result in a donation to charity of individual’s choice.
Episode Show Notes:
Welcome to the "Militarily Speaking" podcast with Tom McLean and Jodi Vickery.
In this episode of “Militarily Speaking,” Tom and Jodi discuss the myriad of ways Armed Forces Bank employees have been giving back to their local communities at their AFB branches
all around the country.
“Militarily Speaking” is a podcast produced by Armed Forces Bank that is dedicated to the military lifestyle
and all the things that makes military community who they are.
Ep. 19 — Days of Giving
Days of Giving and Community Outreach
Tom and Jodi introduce the episode and what Days of Giving at Armed Forces Bank is all about, noting that their teams all around the country have been hard at work.
- They add that Armed Forces Bank has philanthropy embedded in their hearts as well.
- Tom tells one of his favorite quotes, “It’s not about how much you gather, but how much you scatter.”
- Tom discusses what Armed Forces Bank at Forth Leavenworth has been doing, including help open and raise money for the first foodbank on base.
- He adds that they also donated lots of food for Second Harvest, and assisted the Frontier Freedom 5k.
- Jodi mentions Fort Carson’s contribution to the Care and Share Pantry, which included food donation, and volunteering their time.
Tom and Jodi then discuss some of their Thanksgiving traditions.
- Tom discusses the donation boxes set up in the AFB banking center that were donated to the chapels.
- Jodi mentions how the local Fort Myers Armed Forces Bank location donated items to Bridges to Independence, which provides food, access to education, etc.
- Tom notes that AFB at Great Lakes donated over 100 pounds of food to a local food pantry.
- At Fort Bliss, Jodi says, Armed Forces Bank worked with the Armed Services YMCA to collect nonperishable food for the Junior Enlisted Family Center.
- Tom says how the AFB at Fort Irwin set up a donation box for a Red Cross program.
- Jodi adds that at Fort Huachuca Armed Forces Bank location, they set a donation box for the Peaches Pantry, which is a local food pantry.
- Fort Huachuca also raised money to donate turkeys for Thanksgiving Day, and donated 30 wreaths through Wreaths Across America.
- Tom notes that Joint Base Lewis-McChord donated over 900 items (300 pounds) to the Fisher House, and volunteered their time as well.
- Jodi says the Armed Forces Bank at Luke Airforce Bank supported the base chapel’s drive through donation event.
- Tom then discusses Nellis Airforce Base AFB location donated 45 pounds of nonperishable food to 926th Reserve Wing.
- Jodi mentions the Travis Air Force Base AFB Team has been helping the Travis Spouse Club at the base thrift store.
- Tom notes the items that the Armed Forces Bank at Fort Knox donated to a local food pantry.
- Armed Forces Bank at Fort Drum volunteered at the Feed Our Vets event, and also helped the food pantry.
After a failed joke attempt by Tom, they discuss Christmas plans and movies before bringing the conversation back to the Air Force Academy
, Fort Riley
, and lastly Fort Rucker.
- Tom says the Armed Forces Bank at Air Force Academy volunteered for the Care and Share Distribution Center, packing boxes to be delivered to senior citizens.
- Fort Riley AFB team, Jodi continues, partnered with Wheels of Hope and donated items.
- Tom and Jodi continue their prior discussion on Christmas traditions in their families, and Tom gives another joke.
- Tom finishes by mentioning the Armed Forces Bank at Fort Rucker who teamed up with the NCOA to give back to a local food bank.
Jodi introduces the Military Minute segment of the show, beginning by closing out last episode’s Military Minute.
- Last episode’s Military Minute: How many Fisher House locations are currently in operation?
- Answer: 93
- This week’s Military Minute question: What tunes does Argyle play on a limousine tape deck on the way to the Nakatomi Plaza with McClain?
- Watch for Facebook and Instagram posts about this episode.
- Answer with the correct answer and you plus a charity of your choice can each win $50.
Tom closes the episode by asking listeners to go to www.afbank.com and subscribe to the show, as well as leave a rating and comment on your favorite podcast platform such as Apple Podcasts