- We will authorize and pay overdrafts at our discretion on automatic bill payments, checks, and other transactions made using your checking account, such as ACH direct debits. A fee will be charged in these cases.
- If an item isn’t paid, it will be returned, and you will be charged a fee.
- If you have elected to "Opt-In," we will also authorize and pay overdrafts at our discretion on ATM and everyday debit card transactions, and you will be charged a fee.
- Regardless of your choice to "Opt-In," there is no guarantee that we will cover an item that causes an overdraft on your account. At any time and without prior notice, we may deny payment of an item that overdraws your account.
- If you have selected one of our overdraft alternatives, like Overdraft Protection Transfer or Ready Cash Reserve, see our “Overdraft Alternatives” article for details.
Overdrafts & Alternatives
If you overdraw your account, make a deposit large enough to cover how much you are overdrawn, the fees associated with your overdraft, and any outstanding payments that haven’t cleared your account yet as soon as possible.
- There is a $32.00 fee for each transaction we decide to pay. If the transaction amount is $5.00 or less, we don’t charge this fee.
- There is a $32.00 fee for each item that we decide not to pay and instead return.
- On any business day, $128.00 is the maximum fee we will charge your account for overdrafts and returned items.
- Unless your account is covered under the MoneyPass® Network of ATMs, there is a $0.50 fee for a denied ATM transaction at a machine we do not own.
- Keep track of your account balance and pending transactions. Use a debit card or check register. Include any and all fees in your item totals. Regularly balance your account.
- We also offer services to help you better manage your account, such as Digital Banking for desktops, tablets and smartphones that allows you to set up account alerts via email or text that will notify you when your balance reaches an amount determined by you. Other resources include e.Statements and educational resources on our website.
- We also offer a number of overdraft alternatives, such as Overdraft Protection Transfer (which involves linking to a savings account) or Ready Cash Reserve (which involves getting a line of credit). For details, see our “Overdraft Alternatives” education article.
We authorize and pay overdrafts for the following types of transactions based on the length of time your account has been open and your usage of and activity in the account:
- Automatic bill payments
- Checks and other transactions made using your checking account such as ACH direct debits
We do not authorize and pay overdrafts for the following types of transactions unless you ask us to:
- Everyday debit card transactions
- ATM transactions
We pay overdrafts at our discretion. This means we do not guarantee we will always authorize and pay any type of transaction. Your transaction will be declined if we do not authorize and pay an overdraft.
If you want us to authorize and pay overdrafts on ATM and everyday debit card transactions, log into Digital Banking, select Settings, then click on the Overdraft Opt In/Out option and follow the instructions.
You can instruct us to never pay any item that would overdraw your account. However, please know that opting out of all overdrafts may still result in returned item fees being assessed. To opt out of all overdrafts, call (888) 929-2265, email us at ODOptOut@afbank.com, or contact any banking center.
Each day's transactions will be processed at night. We post deposits and other credits to your account before checks, debits, and other withdrawals. For our posting order, please see a copy of our most recent Deposit Account Agreement.
When you use your debit card to make an ATM withdrawal or purchase, the merchant or ATM owner may request an authorization from us. If the transaction is approved, we will reduce your Current Balance by the authorized amount via a memo posted debit to your account. In some cases, the authorization request amount and actual final transaction amount may not match. For example, a restaurant may add an expected gratuity amount to the bill which may or may not be reflected in your final settlement.
In general, this memo posted debit will remain on your account until we receive instructions from the merchant for us to deduct the exact amount of your final purchase from your account (known as a final settlement request) or the expiration of 3 business days, whichever occurs first.
Please note, there is an exception: If you use your PIN when paying for gas at the pump, the merchant must send us the final settlement request within two hours.
A "final settlement request” will come after the debit card authorization request and will complete the transaction. Although most transactions settle within one or two business days, the actual timing depends on the merchant. In fact, there may be times the final settlement is not received within the three business days and the memo posted debit authorization is removed and the balance restored, but then the final settlement could still be received beyond the three business days and result in a balance reduction for the final transaction settlement amount.
- We may decide to no longer pay items if your account remains overdrawn. This means that items will be returned, and returned item fees will be charged.
- It could lead to suspension of your account and could damage your credit.
- Overdraft Protection Transfer is a service we offer that means, whenever you cause an overdraft on your account, we will transfer funds from your linked account in $100.00 increments sufficient to cover the items, as long as funds are available.
- Overdraft protection transfers are free. Any account receiving overdraft protection transfers will be charged no fee, regardless of the number of items causing the overdraft.
- If the linked account’s balance is not sufficient to cover the items, all available funds will be transferred. However, you will be charged overdraft or returned items fees for any remaining items that cannot be covered by the transfer.
- Certain accounts will have transaction limitations. Please speak to one of our bank representatives about the options that best suit your needs.
Ready Cash Reserve is a line of credit that is linked to any savings, checking, or Money Market account. Other important information to know includes:
- Credit line limit of $300 to $3,000 with 15.9% APR subject to credit approval
- Interest is charged only for the number of days outstanding
- No per transfer fee
- Minimum monthly payment is $25 or 5% of the outstanding balance, whichever is greater
- Automatic payments deducted from your linked account
- Additional or larger payments may be made at any time through Digital Banking or by contacting us
- Advances are made in $100 increments
- While advances happen automatically, you can also make one manually through Digital Banking or by contacting us.